National Student Financial Aid Scheme. The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is the government student bursary and loan scheme that receives its funding budget from, and reports to the Department of Higher Education and Training.
To apply online, applicants will be required to first register and create a MyNSFAS profile on the NSFAS website, which will serve as their personal account where they can log in for updates on their applications and funding throughout the year.
To qualify you need to meet the following criteria:
- Financially needy as determined by the NSFAS means test;
- A South African citizen;
- Academically deserving and can demonstrate the ability to succeed in your studies; and
- If you have applied or are applying to study at a public university or TVET College for a qualification.
- You need to have passed Grade 09/10/11/12 to receive NSFAS funding to study at a TVET College.
- You need to have passed Grade 12 to receive NSFAS funding to study at a university.
- All applicants currently receiving SASSA grants will not be means tested;
- Orphans and children with unemployed parents;
- All learners from no-fee schools.
Watch this NSFAS demonstration video to help you complete your online application. Applications will close on 30 November,